First & Fourth Amendments

We began discussing several significant SCOTUS cases that involve the 1st and 4th Amendments:

Tinker v. Des Moines, NJ v. TLO, and Redding v. Safford.

EXTRA CREDIT: Post a comment and use details.

• Which case was the most interesting or shocking?
  • How did SUPREME DECISION (the game about Ben’s Case) help you to understand the First Amendment: freedom of speech? 

Watch the interview with Savanna Redding, her mother and attorney:

CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS OF CLASS WARS & SUPREME DECISION!

Winter Snow Card Comments

Teddy Gram Note Generator
NEED TO REVIEW?  Use the Google Slides, handouts, and SUPREME DECISION to review Ben & Savana’s Cases.

7 thoughts on “First & Fourth Amendments

1. This does not have anything to do with the above post, but it does have something to do with the 5th amendment. In the book Insurgent by Veronica Roth, the Candor Faction put Tris and Tobias under a truth serum. Almost all of the secrets they had were told in front of high level executives and they cannot take it back. There right was violated because they were not under their own power and did not choose to reveal all their secrets, but were forced into it #5thAmendment

2. In my opinion, the most surprising case was the “Plessy v. Ferguson” case. It was surprising how the government considered it constitutional for places to be separated because of races, in 1896. For example, there were separate restaurants for African Americans and white people. The government claimed that as long as the service is equal that it is constitutional. Everyone including the government knew service was unequal, but they continued to separate by race. Plessy was arrested for sitting in a white only car. Plessy was 1/8 African American so he was arrested for identifying himself as white. In more recent times, Michael Brown an African American, was shot and killed by a white police officer. People were outraged that this did not even become a court case. They believed that this was because Brown was black and the police officer was white. Although this was not the case, it still shows how segregation can impact our culture.

3. Gar,
    Your response is very thorough with multiple supporting details. Thank you for sharing your learning!

4. The most interesting case in my opinion was the NJ vs T.L.O. This was the most interesting case because of what the student explained in the office. Even after being seen and witnessed, the student still decides to refuse to admit that she was smoking in the bathroom.

The game with Ben’s case helped me understand the First Amendment about freedom of speech extremely. With the different arguments portrayed in the game, my understanding has cleared. Now after seeing the difference in cultural and political speech, I can see what kind of speech falls under what category. I can also tell what kind of limitations are expressed on the freedom of speech. In Ben’s case I personally thought there was nothing wrong. This is because there really was no disruption in class. His shirt did not have any bad language or disturbing pictures. He was just supporting his favorite band. Just like how people where jerseys of different teams, he wore a shirt of his favorite band. All in all, Ben’s case has made my understanding of the First Amendment Freedom of speech very clear.

5. Tinker v. Des Moines was the case that was most interesting to me because it states that a student may have their freedom of speech unless they are inappropriately using their right. This is a fair right and school would be so much different without that right.