LeaD, FoLLOW, oR…GeT ouT oF THe WaY!

Are leaders born or created?

Which Habits of Mind are NECESSARY for LEADERSHIP?

Watch the following video clip, ESCALATOR and respond to the following:

Provide advice for the people on the escalator from the POV of 1 Habit of Mind.

What would a LEADER do in this situation?

Which Habits of Mind does Jaime need to practice?
This is a comedy sketch, but have you met “leaders” like Jaime? Are they effective? Why or why not?
What would your 8th grade year look like if someone like Jaime won the election for House President?

85 thoughts on “LeaD, FoLLOW, oR…GeT ouT oF THe WaY!

1. My partner and believe that this situation is apply past knowledge to new situation. We think this because they have to had to walk on stairs once before in their lifetime. Then if they have been on stairs they will notice when the escalator stop it looks likes stairs so they will be able to walk up it.

2. In this situation you should apply pass knowledge to new situations.The people know how to walk up stairs so if they need to apply that knowledge to the problem they have on the escalator (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines, check your punctuation and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

3. I think this video the man and the women should have tried to stride for accuracy. I think this because he shouldn’t have waited for someone to help he should have walked up the stairs. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

4. My partner and I believe that the situation displayed in the video is apply past knowledge to new situations because if they have walked on stairs before then it would be the same thing exact thing as walking up a not moving escalator. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

5. A leader would try to solve the problem. A leader would apply past knowledge to new situations to try to solve conflicts. A leader would also try to strive for accuracy.

6. If I were them then I would use the Habit of Mind “Apply Past Knowledge to New Situations”. I would use that because if I thought back to a time I experienced something similar. Also, if I ever read or saw something that applied to the situation. It would be an easy way to figure out how to get out of it.

7. I am the habit of mind persisting. If I were you I would have tried to work around the obstacles. Finally I would have overcome the obstacle that I was in!

8. If I was in that situation I would apply past knowledge to new situations. Like when you walk up stairs walk up the escalator (Incomplete sentence). The escalator just becomes stairs.

9. The people needed to use the habit of minds. Persisting and thinking independently would help you decide what to do! That’s the advise I give for the people on the escalator (Ms. D Note: The last sentence is implied. Please follow digital etiquette and elaborate.)

10. A leader would tell people that it is fine they could walk up the stairs. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

11. I have met leaders like Jamie. There are people that think that they are always right they think that whatever they say and think are right and that they are never wrong. They are never effective people usually don’t like them and they want to get rid of them

12. No, me and Amanda havent met someone like this and hopefully we never will (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette and check your spelling, grammar, and punctuation.)

13. I have met leaders like Jaime. They didn’t think interdependently with other people, and they did not strive for accuracy. They did not get much done.

14. I have met a leader like Jaime…She doesn’t listen to other people’s opinions or ideas and that isn’t a quality a leader should have. I was doing a science lab once, and one boy in my group totally took over and didn’t let anyone else say a say in the project.

15. If someone like Jaime was our eighth grade president than this year wouldn’t be good.She would just tell people to stop talking.She wouldn’t think interdependently.

16. She needs to practice the habit of mind of apply past knowledge to situations because she need to think about the need of others. I have never met someone like Jamie, all she thought about was making herself look good. They are not affective because they don’t do anything to help other people. 8th grade would be s terrible time because she has bad advice for people. (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette and check your spelling.)

17. I would not like her as a prez. Because she is selfish. Everything was a about her and everyone’s ideas were dumb (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette, check your spelling punctuation.)

18. Think independently because they could go up a different one (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette, check your grammar and punctuation. )

19. They could of been thinking independently and found out they could of walked up the stairs. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

20. I think that leaders are created not born. No one can be born a leader even if they are born on by blood to lead something that does not mean that they are ready to lead. It has to be taught. In the commercial they weren’t independent with their decisions. They thought that others would do the work for them on stead if taking action and helping themselves. They should of just took control of the situation and not wait for others to do it for them (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette, check your spelling and punctuation.)

21. In this situation, the people on the escalator should have thought interdependently and figured out a way to solve their problem instead of complaining about it. They could have eventually figured out a solution if they had worked together.

22. In a situation like this, a leader would come up with as many ideas as possible. One idea would be to provide entertainment on the escalator. That way, people that would be walking by the escalator would stop by and look and listen. Once done, you can now tell them that you’re stuck on the escalator and they can come up to help you.

23. If I was on the escolater I would in incourage them to keep going and you have to do things that you are not used to Doing. Even if it means doing it your self even.when it gets tuff. (Ms. D note: Please follow digital etiquette, check your spelling and capitalization.)

24. A leader will walk up the escalator and not stay there like some people would. I loved it when the maintenance man went up the other escalator and that one broke. I was like “wow how ironic”. Like I said before, a leader will walk up the escalator, if it was an elevator, then there’s a problem. Leaders should never panic, or get scared, because the followers mimic the leader sometimes.

25. A leader would just walk up the stairs.When an escalator stops it becomes stairs. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

26. In this situation, a leader would help out and get them off the escalator. Others would wait for help. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

27. In this situation, a leader would take control of the situation and walk up the escalator, while others would just stand around and wait for assistance. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

28. Manage Impulsivity! Sometimes actions generated from impulsivity can be forgiven but never forgotten!

Where is your globe?

Mr. Z

29. I have never meet someone like that.If we had someone like that for president it would be bad. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

30. If jaime was our house president I think it would be really bad. she would use her powers to boss us around. We would be doing things for her and she would let her self chew gum and do this and do that. So I don’t think it would be good, It would be chaotic. (Ms. D note: Please strive for accuracy and check punctuation and spelling.)

31. Yes I have met someone like Jaime before. If someone like her was elected nothing would get done. Also Ings would go wrong like work if they had any to do nothing would happen (Ms. D note: Strive for accuracy and check grammar, spelling, and punctuation.)

32. I think jamie needs to learn to be cooperative. If she won the election we would probably all be in detention for not letting Her first in line or something stupid like that. (Ms. D note: Please strive for accuracy and check your capitalization and word choice.)

33. I have never met someone like Jaime. I have read about them, and on Glee, there was one girl named Santana. She thought she was everything. My eighth grade year would not look good if someone like her was in power.

34. Manage impulsivity. No I have not. It would be crazy nothing would get down. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and explain.)

35. Jaime needs to practice to manage impulsivity and also to think independently. If 8y had a president like Jaime it would be total chaos and then It would become a state of nature because Jaime would only help the strong and she would let the weak be destroyed.

36. Yes I have met someone like Jamie before that does not have the Qualities a class president should. I think that it would be bad if we had someone like her as class president because she wouldn’t know what to do for our hall to make it better ( (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Check your word choice and punctuation.)

37. I never really saw someone like this in my life. Jaime acts like as if she owns the whole school. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

38. I have not meet a person like Jaime. But if some one like her was president it would be a long year. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

39. This year would be awful if Jaime was elected president. She would boss us around and talk about things that didn’t make sense. (go to Africa and take pictures with the starving people) (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences. You could take the example in parentheses could have started with, “For example…”)

40. Jaime needs to practice Striving for accuracy. Yes and there not effective because they think it’s all about them. I think the wouldn’t let her do anything and things would be right (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Check your spelling, grammar, and punctuation.)

41. I met a leader like this before, it was my brother Billy. Whenever my parents aren’t home, he’s in charge. He acts just like her. I think if someone like Jamie led 8 yellow, it would be chaos. He/she would not be a good leader.

42. If I was that guy I would be persistence and stop yelling and just calm down. I would also think interdependently and communicate with the woman that’s on the escalator. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

43. The people in the commercial need to exercise persistence. They could have just kept walking, because weren’t they all late? Especially the person who was going to fix them. Ms. DiGangi said that escalators never break, they just become stairs.

44. Apply paddy knowledge to new situations. I picked this habit of mind because they could have applied the past knowledge of waking up stairs to this situation because when the elevators stopped they turned into stairs so they could have walked up them (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines check you spelling and grammar. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

45. Apply past knowledge to new situations- We do have legs, so they should have just walked up the escalator(: I’m sure they have walked up stairs before, and that’s all the escalator became!

46. We say persistence!! When the escalator stopped they were stuck…they had to overcome their obstacles!! Oh and by the way escalators don’t break…they become stairs šŸ˜‰

47. I think the people on the escalator should follow the Persistance HOM. They should have came together and thought of a plan instead of just sitting there doing nothing when they have legs. Overcoming obstacles is important to learn because you never know what you will encounter in your lifetime.

48. I think they should’ve walked up the escalator. They coud’ve applied past knowledge to new situations. If they knew that escalators are just stairs that move, then they would realize that they could’ve walked up the stairs.

49. I think they shouldve been persistent and apply past knowledge to there situation. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines, check your spelling and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

50. I think the people on the escalator should use the persisting habit of mind. I think this because they need to overcome obstacles (the broken escalator) and they need to remain focused and just think. They could’ve just walked Up the escalator.