8 Girls Lied…People Died

Is it possible for 8 teens to start a widespread panic throughout your town by making false accusations? How is this dangerous?

Would a US court allow evidence that cannot be seen to convict and execute a defendant?

Discovery Education

The witch hunts of 1692 led to 20 executions. Accusations made by several young girls led to the executions of twenty innocent people.
Nineteen innocent people were hanged and one was pressed to death. An additional 4 people died while in jail. During an excruciating execution, Giles Corey’s last reported words were, “more rocks.”

Comparing and contrasting the Salem Witch Trials with the Japanese Internment Camps, McCarthyism, and the Holocaust enhance understanding.
Want to earn extra credit and further your understanding? Respond to any or all of the questions in this post. Remember to use digital etiquette & the Writer’s Checklist to earn points.

Scapegoating is sprinkled throughout history and continues even today. Provide examples of Scapegoating in current events or the recent past.
Time travel back to 1692. Based on this primary source quote and the videos, explain Puritan society.
“Ah, children, be afraid of going prayerless to bed, lest the devil be your bedfellow.” – Cotton Mather

We watched the Discovery Channel’s “Salem Witch Trials” and the History Channel’s video that describes an alternate scenario as to why the young girls lied. Click on the image to watch the clip.

MOBILE DEVICES, Click on the Image to go directed to the Google Doc.

8 thoughts on “8 Girls Lied…People Died

1. Hi Cole, Thank you for posting the video clips! They will help others extend their learning.

2. Hi Cole,
    I always live reading your comments! Your writing is always very detailed with support. Your enthusiasm for learning is commendable! Thank you for bringing in the book today! 😀

3. Hey Ms. D,
    I am trying to catch up on page one in my packet. I don’t see the google doc for the Zenger crab walk. Is there a possible way I could catch up since I dont see the google doc for Zenger on here? Thanks!

4. Hi Ms. D, I know you asked me to post this on the blog, so I am. last Wednesday, our class was debating about whether or not there was a board set on Giles Corey before rocks were repeatedly placed on him. Some students said that you said there was, but you said you didn’t and that you thought a student said that (which was me). I was about 99% sure there was a board set on him, but I wanted to have a source to back it up. So today I showed you a book called “THE SALEM WITCH TRIALS” by Marilynne K. Roach which stated that there was, in fact, a board set on him. Also, both of the documentaries I posted on the blog previously stated that there was as well.

5. Part 2 of the documentary below explains the Salem witch trials. The rest explains witch persecution in Europe, and witchcraft in modern times, but does not really discuss the Salem witch trials. However, if anyone does have time to watch the entire documentary I would highly encourage you to do so. That way you can get more knowledge and a little background information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz4CEP4ihfU&feature=relmfu