A Disease…Only Gold Can Cure?

Conquistadors took no prisoners in their pursuit of God, Glory, and Gold. The Aztecs’ human sacrifice ended up being the nail in their coffin as neighboring tribes allied with Cortes. Please use the slideshow below to explore the impact on Aztec and Incan Society.

16 thoughts on “A Disease…Only Gold Can Cure?

1. Hey Ms. D,
    Over Spring Break, my family and I went on vacation to Savannah and Hilton Head Island, and on the trip, we did several activities involving history. Most of the history we experienced was in Savannah, and after a ferry ride from our hotel, we were right on River Street. From River Street all the way into Savannah, practically every building has historical significance; Savannah is the largest national historic district in the US. We took a trolley tour exploring the historic downtown, and later that day we ate at the semi-famous Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House restaurant, which serves old time Southern cuisine and sits yo down with complete strangers. We sat with a traveling couple from California and a 21 year old skater for Disney on Ice. In addition, we toured the Owens-Thomas House, an example of a home in Savannah’s glory day. Already by this point in the trip, I had learned a great amount.

Have a nice night!

2. In class to day we learned about the slave trade. in the new movie, Django Unchained, Django (the main Character, played by Jammie Foxx) is secretly married to this woman he was a slave with, and they were separated at one of the biggest slave trade in American history. Of Corse this movie took place in the 1840’s and the lesson we learned in class was about the ones from the 1600’s.

3. Hi Ashley,
    Thank you for sharing your connection. That video is clever and informative! I laughed at the sign, “Every time you use this font, a designer loses his wings.”

4. Dear Ms. D,
    Today in class we talked about epiphany. Jimmy Neutron Boy Geinus, a cartoon on Nickelodeon, has a boy named Jimmy on the show. Jimmy has sudden “brain blasts” when he has an epiphany and a new idea pops in his mind. It normally occurs when they are in trouble and need an immediate solution.

5. In class today, we were learning that La Casas had an epiphany about enslaving Native Americans. As a pop culture connection, there’s a part of a Phineas and Ferb episode where Dr. Doofenshmirtz has an epiphany and he gives up evil. Here’s a link to the video.

http://youtu.be/hD0llFyBj44

6. Dear Ms. D,
    Over the weekend I was watching a TV show called Wife Swap. On the show, the “wife” was sick of the father not hearing what the children wanted to say. The wife bought a conch and said to the family, “When somebody has the conch, everyone has to listen to what they have to say. No one can interrupt or says anything until the person with the conch finishes talking.” This is a pop culture connection to the LOTF. Ralph had a conch and gave it to whoever wanted to speak.

7. I was studying for the test tomorrow and was looking at what las Casas did. It said he ensalved the Indians then he helped them. That reminded me of Oskar Schindler. It reminded me of him because I knew Oscar Schindler joined the Nazi Party. After that while working in a factory to help the Nazis, he had a epiphany. He realized that what the Nazis were doing was wrong and that he should help not harm. He then starting hiring Jewish People and helped them to safety. Oskar and Las Casas are both heros.

8. Today we talked about the Canary Effect. The canary effect is when miners brought canaries down into the mines with them. It would nonstop sing, but when it stops it means the canary is about to die and warns the miners to get out because poisonous air is floating around. I remember reading this in the Hunger Games Series.

9. Hey Mrs.D,
    When we were talking about Moctezuma. You started talking about Moctezuma’s revenge and I emeber when I was in Mexico.. I HAD IT! It was so terrible. I was going snorkleing and we had to take a speed boat to our destination. I was so sick and I felt terrible. I made sure that I didn;t drink the water and only resort to bottled water. Well I guess I wasn’t paying attention! It was terrible. I stayed in all day. That night at the resort there was a big Mexican party and of course I look through the wondow of our room to see the whole resort dancing. I was so upsat and I did not feel well:(

10. secrets of the incas is a tv show i saw while i was browsing on the tv.Its about An adventurer who searchers for hidden treasure in the Peruvian jungles. An Inca legend says the Inca Empire was destroyed by the gods when a gold and jeweled star burst was stolen from the Temple of the Sun centuries ago, and the ancient civilization will spring anew when the treasure is returned. The natives want it but so does Harry Steele, an American adventurer of slightly-shady ways who wants it for personal gain, as does his adversary, a grizzled old man even more into skulduggery than Steele. The latter teams up with Elena Antonescu, an Iron Curtain refugee fleeing from the MKVD. She can help him get a plane and he can help her escape Peru for the relative safety of Mexico. Thi show looked very intresting and i want to watch it sometime.

11. Dear Ms. D,
    I think its crazy that the Aztecs used human sacrifice. The Aztecs used human sacrifice to appease the gods. Also, I think that the Aztec achievements are great. They had aqueducts, bridges, and gardens.This just shows how effective the Aztecs can be, but I would be afraid to play basketball in that time period; one loss and you are dead. Thank you Ms. D.

12. Mrs Digangi,
    I can connect our recent lessons on Native Americans to a soccer field I played on as a kid. Savich Field is where all the little kids play soccer, but it actually used to be an Indian burial ground. With all the things we have been learning about wars, who knows if maybe a battle went on right where we have played soccer, and Indians who died were buried there. I am not completely sure, but I believe that the field was named after an Indian leader too. When I first heard this, I thought it was very weird, but now that we’re learning about it, I think it is cool that the things we are learning about occurred right where we are standing.

13. Referring to slide 40, in the Princess Bride, the son of the man Pizarro killed, Inigo Montoya, says repeatedly before killing him, “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.”

14. Hey Ms. D,
    I’m not entirely sure that I’m writing this in the correct place but I had a pop culture connection.
    Vsauce is a youtube channel that basically ponders thought-provoking questions, and I was watching this video called “A Defense of Comic Sans” by them. In the video they talked about how widely hated the font comic sans was, but during this they gave us some information about font, typing and writing. They spoke about how, in our past, books were written by hand-and then mentioned Gutenburg and his invention of the printing press. According to the video, Gutenburg’s printing press invented the first font, Textura. The video even explained how when people would be making books with pieces that had each letter, they would keep the pieces with letters frequently used (all lower case letters) in the “lower case”, and less frequently used letters, now called upper case letters, in the “upper case”, which is how capitalized letters got their name.

The part of the video where they talk about Gutenburg is at around 2:45, if you don’t have time to watch the whole thing.
    Thanks!