When 8 Girls Lied…

WARM UP FOLDABLE TOPIC: Salem Witch Trials: What makes you afraid?

Scapegoating is sprinkled throughout history and continues even today. Provide examples of Scapegoating in current events or the recent past.
Time travel back to 1692. Based on this primary source quote explain Puritan society’s expectations for children.
“Ah, children, be afraid of going prayerless to bed, lest the devil be your bedfellow.” – Cotton Mather

Want to earn extra credit and further your understanding? Respond to any or all of the questions in this post. Remember to use digital etiquette & the QUALITY COMMENTS Checklist to earn points.
EXTRA CREDIT: Respond to 1 or more of the questions below:

Is it possible for 8 teens to start a widespread panic throughout your town by making false accusations? How is this dangerous?

Would a US court allow evidence that cannot be seen to convict and execute a defendant?

Discovery Education

The witch hunts of 1692 led to 20 executions. Accusations made by several young girls led to the executions of twenty innocent people.
Nineteen innocent people were hanged and one was pressed to death. An additional 4 people died while in jail. During an excruciating execution, Giles Corey’s last reported words were, “more rocks.”

Comparing and contrasting the Salem Witch Trials with the Japanese Internment Camps, McCarthyism, and the Holocaust enhance understanding.

We will watch the Discovery Channel’s “Salem Witch Trials” and the History Channel’s video that describes an alternate scenario as to why the young girls lied. Click on the image to watch the clip.

MOBILE DEVICES, Click on the Image to go directed to the Google Doc.

Play the NatGeo Salem Witch Trials Game by clicking HERE. Leave a comment and tell us: DID YOU SURVIVE?

6 thoughts on “When 8 Girls Lied…

1. Hi Marina,
    Thank you for your response to the post! I enjoyed reading your example and hope others will respond. 🙂
    !

2. Hello Ms.D
    Hope your having a great day, I think it is possible for 8 teenagers to spread a worldwide panico threw false statements, I feel it can be very easy for anyone to believe what someone here’s so when a teen makes a false acucution about someone else, or something else therefor I believe It is possible and I think it is dangerous because since. People can be so gullible and in a matter of days I’m sure the world could be in a panic. For example if a teen made a rumor about a boy named Jarled who lived down the street from her and she said that Jarled killed her cat, had anger issues, and was going to be posing bomb threats on the White House I think you would be scared too. Personally even if it wasn’t true I wouldn’t know for sure so I would have that lingering questioning. I feel that panic is a state many people can get into very easy, therefore yes it can cause worldwide panic and a state of uncertainty.

3. Dear Mrs. D
    Cyberbullying is a worldwide problem because so many children nowadays are on social media and electronics. Therefore there are many dangers online and countless social media sites! Many times people with say things online but never in person. It’s important we teach our children the dangers online and who there talking to so we can Provent cyberbullying to happen and also to make a better, brighter future!

4. Dear Ms. D,
    I think it is possible for 8 teens to spread widespread panic by making false accusations. For example, if the teens make a false accusation like their school, and they told everyone who goes there, and those kids tell their parents, this would cause panic because kids and parents would wonder where the kids would go to school.
    A U.S court would not allow evidence that could not be seen to convict and execute a defendant.It just seems wrong. I f you can’t see the evidence how do you know that, that evidence was there? For example, if someone was accused of robbery, and the prosecutor had no evidence to bring in, but he has evidence, the prosecutor could be lying and not have any evidence at all.
    Thanks Ms. D

5. hello Mrs.D,
    So in class i made a reference to “The Great Gatsby” book and movie. In both versions Gatsby is used as a scapegoat when *SPOILERS:)* Daisy runs over Tom’s mistress he takes the blame for the accident and ultimately loses his life for it. Also, following the death of his mistress Tom goes to the husband of the deceased woman and plants in his mind that Gatsby is to blame just so Tom could get even with Gatsby for moving in on his woman (Daisy). Gatsby even though innocent, refused to tell anyone but Nick that Daisy was the true culprit because he wanted to protect her. This book/movie reminds me of the Salem witch trials because the puritans also looked for a scapegoat so that they could get revenge on people in the village and some, like Gatsby took the blame for something they did not do and had to pray the price for their choice.
    -Ryan

6. It is possible for a lie to start a widespread panic throughout a town. For example, last week I heard about a high school that had to go on a lockdown drill because a rumor started that someone had a bomb. This is dangerous because when people are frightened many tend to panic. When people panic, others can be hurt or even killed from being trampled. In this particular situation, I’m sure most parents were unnecessarily terrified for their kids safety.
    A U.S court would not allow evidence that could not be seen to convict and execute a defendant. There are a lot of evil people out there and it would make it too easy for someone to manipulate a case to make it look like someone they don’t like is guilty. Also, if court’s did not use cold, hard evidence, tons of people could be wrongly convicted because your brain may not interpret the evidence correctly. For example, last year I read an article on how many innocent people were sent to jail because it was common for an eyewitness of a crime to accuse someone who looked like the actual perpetrator.