Avatar Me!

Student Blogging Challenge #2

Create an avatar to use when leaving comments.

Read this post about avatars.

This Edublogger post gives easy directions to create an avatar and many options.

Let us know if you find a historical person avatar.  I think you may find them at historicalpersonavatarsarethecoolest.com… or… maybe not:o)

Once you create your new avatar leave a comment and show us your new YOU:)

Check out my simpsons avatar:

avatar

29 thoughts on “Avatar Me!

1. Hi Rachel,
    Thank you for sharing your pirate avatar! Aargh! : )
    I left you a comment on mystudiyo about your quiz. Many of your questions are not from the study guide. Please use the study guide to complete your CYOA. If you have questions read the directions on the CYOA and the study guide is on the back. Also, they are posted on our class blog.

2. @miss w. Thank you for the comment, I put alot of hard work into my instructions. Yes, a few of my fellow classmates have commented and i have tried to communicate to them to help with their questions. Thank you for the suggestion my blog is at http://mikenpd.edublogs.org/

3. Pingback: Test | Info Tech 9
  4. Hi Tyler,
    As long as you follow the rules for cyber safety you will be ok. Remember you are writing and posting for a global audience not just your peers. Stick to first names only and let us know when you post the posters and commercials. We look forward to seeing them. By the way, what happened to your avatar?

5. I was maybe going to censor the personal info on the posters and video on the blog but since just our school will see it, have info such as my name on or in it. About the cluster map, though, I can’t seem to figure out where to get it. Help please?

6. Hi Tyler,
    I am happy you followed Tim and Moby’s advice. 🙂 Using your blog to campaign is a great idea. Don’t forget to keep your identity safe, only use your first name, and no identifying info like school name, etc. on the posters and commercial. Let me know how I can help. You may look into joining the blogging challenge as a student blogger, with your parents permission of course. We can talk about it tomorrow if you are interested. Have you added a clustrmap (they’re free) to view your global visitors?

7. WOW, Mike, what fantastic instructions for creating and uploading your avatars. You need to copy this and paste it as a post in your new blog. Have any of your fellow students asked you to help with their avatar? Connecting and collaborating is what we need to see happening in schools nowadays.

8. Hi Robert,
    Is your avatar a green scorpion with a baby face? If it is it is the COOLEST avatar I’ve seen. 🙂

9. Hi Jake,
    Yes, you did! Well done. 🙂
    Don’t forget to follow the blogging guidelines and we look forward to reading your future posts.

10. Hi Mike,
    I know we recognized your MOST AMAZING COMMENT EVER in class but it deserves some blog recognition! Your comment was thorough, thoughtful, and displayed fact-finding. In addition, you followed the blogging guidelines. Your commitment to strive for accuracy is a great model for other students. Thank you for helping your peers and other bloggers around the world.

11. Hi Tyler,
    Wow! It’s wonderful that you are inspired to become a blogger! Did you follow Tim & Moby’s cyber safety rules and check with you parents first? Mr. Z is also dealing with the same issue with his boring math avatar. Come to my homeroom on Monday morning and let’s ask Mike or Robert if they can help. I’m wondering if Mike or Robert signed up for a free blog…Enjoy your weekend!

12. Great instructions Mike but I can’t seem to find where it says “Register”.

13. How I made my avatar.

My avatar was created at http://www.southparkstudios.com/avatar/

I created the avatar by selecting a new character, skin tone and age and then customizing the clothes, hair, eyes…etc. I followed the steps till the avatar was completely customized.

When you are done click “finish”, then click “JPG”, and then choose icon to save for a blog. Now save it to your computer.

Now that you have saved it to your computer open the avatar in MS Paint. Read the Edublogger link in Ms D’s Avitar post theedublogger.com/2009/11/29/creating-and-uploading-your-comment-avatar/

It is important to crop your avatar to make it a rectangle. Cropping will help you get rid of any background that you don’t want in your avatar.
    For directions on how to crop your avatar using MS Paint, go to this webpage and watch the short video it makes it very easy: windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/Crop-a-picture-using-Paint .

After cropping then you can resize. Follow the MS Paint resizing directions by going to this webpage and watch the short video it makes it very easy:
    windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/Resize-a-picture-using-Paint .

Resize your avatar to 97 by 97 pixels this will look best.

Now save your cropped and resized avatar back to your computer. I called it the same file name but I added edited to the title.

Now I had to go to the homepage of The Conch and find the link to register for the website. It was on the lower right hand side of the page. I signed up for the website using Ms D’s safety guidelines (name and social studies period only for ID) followed by pd. (mikenpd) I chose a password and I was done.

Now that I was logged into edublogs I followed the directions to upload my avatar to my profile. The directions are at this link:
    theedublogger.com/2009/11/29/creating-and-uploading-your-comment-avatar/ now scroll about half way down the page and look for the heading
    UPLOADING YOUR AVITAR
    1. Go to Users > Your Avatar or Profile > Your Avatar inside your blog dashboard
    2. Click on Browse, locate your avatar on your computer and click Open
    3. Now click Upload
    4. Once uploaded select the part of the image you want to use as the avatar and then click Crop Image
    5. Now whenever you leave comment on your blog or (another Edublogs.org blog) your avatar will display with your comment.
    6. If you don’t see your avatar press Ctrl and F5 at the same time to clear your computer memory and now it should appear.
    Done.

14. My favorite LOTF character is my avatar. Do you know his name? I also have a simpsons avatar. Check it out by scrolling to the bottom of the left side bar.