Native American YOURSELF

After students complete the Native American Regions Baseball Cards, they will create a PHOTO COLLAGE, PHOTO STRIP, OR PHOTO STORY depicting the following characteristics of that region:
POLITICAL
ECONOMIC
GEOGRAPHY
SOCIETY – must include housing, clothing, transportation, family structure
Directions:
1. Research IMAGES for the PEGS of YOUR ASSIGNED Native American REGION.
*May use screen shots of BrainPop videos and/or Images in your Textbook
2. Must have at least 4 PHOTOS – 1 for each of the PEGS.
3. PHOTO SHOP YOURSELF INTO EACH SCENE. Be creative but FOCUS ON HISTORICAL ACCURACY.
4. Any Questions? See the teacher.

8 thoughts on “Native American YOURSELF

1. Dear Ms D
    On wednesday we learned about certain geographical places in Africa. One is the Savannah, and a part of it is the Serengeti. There was an old Cartoon Network show called Total Drama World Tour. this show was a contest in which animated teens competed in numerous challenges in different places in the world. at the end of each episode a contestant would be eliminated, kind of like Survivor. in one episode they went to the Serengeti and the back round had grassy flatlands with a couples trees. this is also how you described it in class. they were attacked by certain animals like monkeys and lions in this episode that are geographically correct. this show is very interesting and i think you could enjoy seeing certain places in the world and monuments they visit.

2. When i went to disney a couple of months ago, in Epcot, the huge ball, it tells a story. Now in the story, it shows a kid going “Extra, Extra, read all about it, new printing press here to tell you all about it” and it shows the people typing and being amazed. Then it shows a author dictating to the scribe about the story and the scribe writing about it. Then the next scene shows Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel and how he painted it laying down with the great detail and tells you how long it took him
    (4 years). It was a very fun, and amazing experience since i can now relate back from a family vacation to school.

3. Hey Ms Digangi,
    My connection to what we’re doing in class is about the Vikings. On Saturday I saw a new series on the history channel called Vikings. It’s about a Viking father trying to prusue his goal of traveling west. They showed the design of the ship and my brother asked why they designed them the way they did. I told him we were learning why in class and I told him the answer. It’s a really good show and reflects about alot of what we learned in class.

4. Mrs. DiGangi,
    Today Mrs. Haines brought up the topic of a new series on the History Channel. I looked online about the show and found out it was called ‘Vikings’ and is on every Sunday night at 10:00 pm. This show isn’t a documentary about the vikings it is simply actirs and actresses acting out situations. This is the description of the show Straight from the History Channels website “The HISTORY® original series Vikings transports us to the brutal and mysterious world of Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel), a Viking warrior and farmer who yearns to explore—and raid—the distant shores across the ocean. His ambition puts him at odds with local chieftain Earl Haraldson (Gabriel Byrne), who insists on sending his raiders to the impoverished east rather than the uncharted west. When Ragnar teams up with his boat builder friend Floki (Gustaf Skarsgard) to craft a new generation of intrepid ships capable of conquering the rough northern seas, the stage is set for conflict.

But for all its warfare and bloodshed, Vikings is also a story of family and brotherhood, capturing the love and affection between Ragnar and his wife, Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick), a respected warrior in her own right. It is the tale of Ragnar’s brother Rollo (Clive Standen), a fierce fighter who simmers with jealously; of Earl Haraldson’s wife Siggy (Jessalyn Gilsig), a dutiful beauty who may be less than loyal; and of the monk Athelstan (George Blagden), whose Christian morals clash with the Vikings’ pagan society. As ambition and innovation rattle a civilization, these characters will be put to the test—and their way of life will never be the same again.”

I thought that even though this isn’t an informational type of show it still relates to the Vikings and shows examples of their hardships that they faced. This show will be a great way to really see what thw vikings went through but through a more present way. I hope some of the further information helps! (:

5. Hey Ms D,
    Since I was absent the last 2 days I need to finish the baseball cards at home. So, when I went to Brain Pop to find pictures I needed a username and password but I forget it. Can u tell me the username and password to get in so I can use it.

6. A new president will be in charge. I wouldn’t vote in elections unless it is some one I would like. I would want to be doing road work or construction as a career. I would want to still live in nj but more north. I would want it to be warm in the summer and cold in the winter. I would live here because I like the cold. My edu backround would be only one or two years of college. I would want to live in a two story house and my friends and family would be a big part of my life. I would want to have a truck and yes it for work and personal use. I would cook all different food. My prized possession would be my dog. I will talk and test on my phone and it would be the same as now.

7. Something that intrigued me while we were learning about Native Americans was how much the U.S. uses many of their names. The camp I go to every Summer is called Camp Matollionequay. Matollionequay was a great Native American leader at some point in time. The camp is split into age groups, or villages. Each village was named after a Native American tribe. The youngest girls belong in Seneca Village. The 10 and 11 year olds go in Algonquin, the 12 year olds go in Oneida, and the 13 year olds are put in Apache. All the campers 14 to 16 go in Mohawks. At all of the ceremonies, all the people participating would dress in hides and feathers to reenact the stories being told.

8. We learned that the Inuits lived in the north and used dogsleds for transportation. In The Simpsons Movie, the Simpsons went to Alaska to escape from the government. Then later in the movie when Marge and the kids leave, Homer uses a dogsled, like the Inuits, to get out of Alaska. Here is that clip from the movie.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE0-zQBL-Sc