CSI: SLAVERY

The following CSI led students through a crime scene to analyze “evidence.” Students examined evidence and determined which crime was committed.  I used primary sources (eyewitness accounts) like Olaudah Equiano, to identify 5 “artifacts” that could be put together like a puzzle.

If you selected the CSI for your RAFT project use the slideshow below as a guide in creating your own.

Tell us what you thought about our CSI.

Did you enjoy learning by starting with a question?

Which piece of evidence had your team of investigators stumped?

How did your team use the Habits of Mind during the CSI?

Use the Scratch Card to find out who WON Class Wars:

Orkut Scrap Toys

12 thoughts on “CSI: SLAVERY

1. Hi Jake, You are right about Hollywood’s portrayal of historical events/people. The Patriot was historical fiction loosely based on the life of Frances Marion of South Carolina. Amazing Grace is based on real historical events and people. Most if not all of the events and relationships did occur. Wilburforce and other abolitionists did in fact hold demonstrations to give people concrete evidence of the atrocities of slavery. The Madagascar ship and its nightmare history are true. Many Africans were killed during the passage of the Madagascar. I am unsure of how much is artistic license. Did you attempt to research your question?

2. Ms. D did Wilburforce really stand on the boat and have everyone smell the death and such? I am asking because I know movies tend to over exaggerate things by a ton (See the US winning the war almost by itself in ‘The Patriot’) and I wanted to be sure, thanks.

3. Since i am doing “Who committed the crime?” as my CSI, must I still provide a hero slide? I was unsure on whether it was just the perpetrator being specified or both the perpetrator and the hero.

4. Hello, Mrs. D. We were talking about slavery in class today, and you mentioned that salves often did not know how to live when they were freed because they had gotten so used to being a slave. This reminded me of the movie The Shawshank Redemption. In the movie, when the main character finally gets out of jail, he doesn’t know how to live on his own. There’s one part where he said something along the lines of “I keep wanting to ask my boss to use the bathroom.” I have the feeling that this is exactly what slaves felt like when they were finally freed. The link is posted above for the movie trailor.

5. Hi Ms. Digangi,

I am having trouble finding the goods traded in the middle passage and triangular trade in the Slavery Close The Gaps. If anyone could direct me to where that is to help me finish my study guide and be able to finish my flash cards that would be great.

6. Hi Ms. D!
    I liked the activity alot I think it’s great for kinesthetic learners to remember these types of activities. Once I knew the answers, I realized they were symbolic and it made more sense. It was interesting to try to “solve a crime” and I actually realized I’m good at it, and the activity will definitely help me when a test comes up. I guess my favorite was the oatmeal, coffin and chains. They symbolized alot and got me to better understand the true hardships the slaves went through. The activity in class that we did today (with the analyzing pictures)also made me realize the true implements of how slaves were treated, and helped me to use wonder and awe to show sympathy towards them.

7. Ms. D

I changed my topic to “Reniassance in Europe” and now I have many information.I just have a few more questions; I would like to ask in homeroom. I enjoyed the Scratch Card. I moved my mouse and a coin follwed the mouse then I read and saw. I got the information on the History Channel Topics and copy and pasted in microsoft word. Then printed to save paper. I took out words and sentences I did not use to save room.that;s where i got 1 reliable source from.