HeY! HeY! LeT’S WoRK oN YouR PSA!

PSAs are due next Tuesday, March 29th.

Let’s recap our progress:

• Almost 4 weeks has passed since our lesson, “Hey! Hey! Let’s Make a PSA!”  Classes watched several professional PSAs about global, national, and local social issues including a class favorite, Dad Cheerleader.
  • Whole classes interpreted and analyzed PSAs using the “PSA Practice Handout.”
  • Teams of 2 students interpreted and analyzed PSAs using the “PSA Practice Handout”
  • We reviewed the CRITERIA for the project using the ActivBoard.  See handout, “Hey, Hey, Let’s Make a PSA.”
  • Students analyzed the use of TEXT, IMAGES, AUDIO, and EMOTIONAL APPEAL by a student in several student sample PSAs.  Please refer to the blog for student samples.
  • Students as a whole class and in teams practiced creating a PSA Storyboard using the STUDENT Sample.
  • Students accessed their Research (already completed in December, HUZZAH!) to create their Storyboards.
  • Students were assigned the “WORDS COLUMN” of the PSA Storyboard for homework and received feedback.
  • Students were assigned the “IMAGES COLUMN” of the PSA Storyboard for homework & received feedback.
  • Students shared their storyboards with their peers and/or conferred with the Teachers.

Students may upload their PSAs to our class wiki.  Please see below for the instructions. 😀 We know you will do well if you Strive for Accuracy & FOLLOW THE PSA DIRECTIONS, Apply Past Knowledge, and Persist.

For students that are struggling or need extra help please refer to the TEMPLATE below.

77 thoughts on “HeY! HeY! LeT’S WoRK oN YouR PSA!

1. I tried posting my PSA on the wiki yesterday but, you didn’t confirm my account. Leah told me that I would be able to use her account since she emailed her PSA to you. I wanted to know if that would be okay before she gave me her information.

2. Hi Ms.D
    I sent my PSA to your email, I just wanted to make sure you got it with the audio, thankyou.

3. Hi Courtney, Your sound works when I downloaded from the wiki. No worries. The post on our Homework Board said that today was the last day to REGISTER for the wiki. You are registered. PSAs are due Wednesday.

4. Hi Sydney, Did you read the tutorial under How to insert Tunes? Let me know if you need more help. L period’s PSAs are due Thursday because the test is tomorrow. We finished the “Mapping a Living” today.

5. Hi Dino, I sent you a message on the wiki. Once you save your Windows Movie as a .wmv, you may email it to me.

6. Hi,

I was just wondering i requested for an account on the wiki, when and how do i know that it was accepted?

7. Ms DiGangi,
    I tried posting my PSA to the wiki and it said the file was too big. What should I do? It is a windows movie maker file.

8. I uploaded my Psa to the wiki and am not sure if it worked right because of the program i used may i email it to you to make sure it works correctly.

9. Hi Ms. Digangi,
    I am having some problems with the music and i had an idea but i just wanted to ask for help before i did anything. I know you helped me on friday but, i just want you to clarify it more for me. Thanks.

10. Hi Ms. D,
    I have asked you how to upload the sound with the PSA and I looked for a tutorial on the blog on how to upload the sound onto the wiki. i have spent days trying to figure this out and i know you said today is the last day to upload our whole PSA on the wiki. I do not understand how to do this can you PLEASE help before 9 thank you

11. Hey Ms. D, am i allowed to add a picture of a nuse and a picture of where you can go to report a user on a social networking website? My topic is cyberbullying and i am trying to use less symbols and get more emotional appeal. Thanks

12. Hi Robert,
    Use facts or a true story instead of, “These children should be receiving more help and not getting abused” – this is your goal and is implied.
    Does your research say “Disgusting adults think it is right to abuse their children.” Stick to facts. What is the NYSPCC? Spell it out for the audience before you use the acronym. What else does the research recommend for ways teens can take action? What is the source for the 2nd to the last image? Don’t forget to include sources – you may need to put 2 sources per page.

13. Hi Ms.D,

Im working on my PSA but I think that it may be a little longer then 1min 30sec. Is that ok?

14. Ms. D, can you check out my psa to see if it is ok. Mine is on amimoto, and I am student 8. Thanks

15. Hi Ms.DiGangi,
    I have completed my PSA and my mom wanted me to just clarify the song with you. I took out the really bad swear word at the end but you told me the one about human race was okay. I wanted to just double check before uploading it onto the wiki if it was okay. The song is free me by goldfinger. Thanks you !

16. Hi Ms. D,
    i did my PSA on imovie because the template wouldn’t upload to my computer, and i’m trying to upload it now to the class wiki, and i clicked ‘file’ to save it, but there wasnt a Save As option. How do i upload it if i can’t save it?

17. Yes, I did try all of the links on the right side bar. I will try a google images search. Thanks.

18. Hi Ms. D!
    This comment is actually directed towards Nicky. I’ve been doing great with movie maker, and I’m making really good progress. I had a question about how to ass text to movie maker, because i couldn’t find the option. Nicky didnt answer his phone today or yesterday, so I figured this was a good way to reach him. I just need to know how to add text in Windows Movie Maker. Thanks!

19. Hi Ms. D,
    I submitted my PSA to the wiki and the music did not play when I checked it. I followed your instructions and the music still did not play. Can you please speak to me on Monday.
    Thank You

20. HI Tricia, Yes, email it to me. How long is your PSA without the poem? Will the poem enhance your PSA and emotionally appeal to your audience? Don’t forget to go through the editing process. . Review your PSA from the POV of your audience. See my comment to Dannie.

21. Hi Ms. D,
    Since I know my PSA is most likely going to be to long to upload to the wiki, I was wondering if, when I’m finished I could e-mail it to you instead. Also if it would be okay if I added my poem that I wrote in school at the end, because I wrote it in the perspective of the dogs. I didn’t know if it would make my PSA better of just too long.
    Thanks, Tricia

22. Hi Robert,
    Did you try missing and exploited children website? Did you check any of the Child Abuse links on the right side bar? Are you telling a story using facts or just stating the facts? You can conduct a google image search as I recommended to others with this same topic. Make sure to check for website reliability.

23. Hi Davin,
    Your PSA has to be created by you. Adding another video is not part of the assignment.

24. hi ms.DiGangi,
    So I was doing my psa when my sister Jayme who is at Pennstate college skyped me and asked me what my status on facebook was about. I told her how I was doing a PSA and she got really excited and showed me her PSA which was on Fast Food Abuse which included KFC. I thought everyone would enjoy a good laugh over this, she made it junior year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJptUgQrIvM
    Here’s the link^

25. Ms.D
    I am still having trouble finding images for my PSA. My topic is child abuse, what should I do?

26. I would like to ues a video into my PSA, do you know of a website/tutorial that can help me do this?

27. Hi Dannie,
    It is great that you are striving for accuracy and seeking clarification. 🙂 Editing is part of the process and sometimes seems tough. Review your slides and look at from the POV of your audience. Are there any slides that are similar? Images that may not fit the story? Be succinct with the text. If you upload it to the wiki I will be able to give you feedback by Monday.

28. Ms. DiGangi,
    Is it alright if my PSA is a little over 2 minutes? I tried my best to try to shorten it, but theres too many slides.

29. Hi Nicky,
    What do the major NGOs or government agencies recommend? How can kids take action or get involved today, tomorrow, or this year? Is there an upcoming walk? Do any events happen in your community? You may also want to add something about the positive aspects of treatment and education by using a real person with autism. This would enhance the emotional appeal of the PSA. What did you find in your research? Temple Grandin is someone you could include.

30. Thanks Nicky!
    8Y Students,
    If you have a wmv upload it to the wiki as a finished movie. If are unsure about what a wmv is then pick an alternate program that you are familiar with such as PowerPoint.

31. Ms .D

I restarted my ppt. again because the work I saved yesterday only opens in Ms. Gaylord’s class. I only got two slides done. I want to show you what i have so far, tommorow.

32. Hi Ms.D

Im almost done my PSA but the time is alittle over 1 mintue and 30 seconds is that okay?

33. To all who are doing their PSA’s with Windows Movie Maker,
    This is an easy way to convert the presentation into an MP4 so you can post it on the Wiki,
    1. After you are done, click on publish to this computer and then create the save name.
    2. After it is published, go on the internet and go to http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html and it should bring you to a place to download the program Any Video Converter.
    3. Download the program and then click on it to open it.
    4. In the program, click add video and search for your PSA.
    5. Select output type on the top right to MP4.
    6. Hit convert button.
    7. File will be downloaded to your computer as a MP4.
    8. Follow Ms. D’s directions to upload to the Wiki.
    Hope this helps people who are stuck.

34. Ms. DiGangi,
    im working on my PSA right now and i was wondering if there was a specific length that it had to be?

35. Ms D

I could not open my ppt. I had to start all over today I saved it yesterday and it opened in Ms. Gaylord’s computer class but not in the Library.

36. I just tried the Wiki,and it says that the file is too large to upload.Should I just e-mail it to you?

37. Thanks so much Ms.D! That really means a lot to me! And I will upload it to the Wiki now:)

38. I would highly suggest the animoto for kids struggling with their PSA. It is a very easy website and makes your presentation look very professional.

39. Hi Marisa,
    Great!:) No, don’t worry about the background noise.
    You are a exemplary advocate for your cause and a outstanding model of civic virtue! Also, striving for accuracy and persistence are clearly evident in everything you do. Huzzah!

40. Hey Ms.DiGangi!

I just finished my PSA,and the audio actually works this time! I worked really hard on it,and am quite excited to share it with everybody.But when I was recording the audio,my MacBook picked up just a little bit of background noise.It’s only in two parts of the presentation,each only being maybe 1 or 2 seconds.Is that okay,or should I do my audio over again,and re-add?

Thanks!