The Bill of Rights, 1791-present

MONDAY
We will begin our fact finding mission to examine the rights/freedoms guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. Your homework is posted on the Calendar.
TUESDAY
We will wrap up loose ends and review using discussion and video clips.
WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY
Get ready to watch one of the BEST MOVIES OF YOUR LIFE, “Future Fright Losing the Bill of Rights.” Follow along using the Viewing Guide as we apply the Bill of Rights to fictitious (or could they be REAL?!) scenarios.
FRIDAY
CLASS WARS!!! Classes will compete against one another in a battle to be SUPREME in iCivics.org’s video game, “SUPREME DECISION.”

All handouts & slideshows are below. Use the vodpod widget to search for videos that we use in class.

EXTRA CREDIT: Share your pop culture connections.
On a mobile device? CLICK HERE FOR THE GOOGLE DOC OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS SLIDESHOW.

BILL OF RIGHTS BASICS: source http://kindreda.edublogs.org/

Lost your slideshow handout and need to print a new one? CLick here for the GOOGLE DOC.

FUTURE FRIGHT: LOSING THE BILL OF RIGHTS

ENJOY SHOELESS JEFF AND SCOTT FREE IN THEIR BILL OF RIGHTS RAP VIDEO:

12 thoughts on “The Bill of Rights, 1791-present

1. All these videos and games we play and watch really help me to understand what we’re learning about. Now I understand the amendments and rights 😀

2. This packet is really long and will take us TWO WHOLE WEEKS!!! IT will be worth it because we’ll get good grades on our test

3. Hi Mrs D!
    One thing that I can connect to with the BOR is the limit on speech. One thing that actually happened to me before is that someone spray painted my Dad’s car 2 weeks ago. This is a limit on speech because people cannot use obscenities in public. What they spray painted on the car was an obscenity. This instantly reminded me of this event when I read the packet.

4. (Hong Kong) – Chinese government officials in provinces with high rates of industrial pollution are restricting access to lead testing, withholding and falsifying test results, and denying children treatment, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. Family members and journalists seeking information about the problem are intimidated and harassed, Human Rights Watch said. Such actions violate Chinese law and condemn hundreds of thousands of children to permanent mental and physical disabilities.

For the rest of the article can he found athttp://www.hrw.org/news/2011/06/15/china-children-poisoned-lead-and-denied-treatment.

5. The Disney Channel movie Lemonade Mouth is somewhat about freedom of expression. Stella, the new girl at the school, where’s a t-shirt that says question authority on it and the principal doesn’t approve it. Stella doesn’t understand why she can’t wear it because it follows the dress code. She then joins l
    Lemonade Mouth writing and singing songs that express anything she believes. Soon they become famous to show anyone can fulfill their dreams!

6. Hi Ms. D!

I was writing my notes that I missed from class, and had a connection for The Bill of Rights slideshow. On the 7th slide it says: “People cannot: Break the law and claim it is religious beliefs.” This reminded me of a TV show I once watched. I was watching COPS after school. The cops had found a man walking down the street; the man had bloodshot eyes. They could tell he was smoking weed. When they read him his rights, he kept on saying that it is because of his religion and his God. He was of the Rastafarian religion.
    That slideshow instantly reminded me of that show from Cops!