Welcome Class of 2014!

Welcome to 8th grade Social Studies Class of 2014!

Monday: Syllabus

Tuesday: Wrap Up Syllabus, Getting to Know our Class (Stand Up if You…) + Intro HOM

Wednesday: HOM + Class Procedures

Thursday: Internet Safety + intro Class Website 

Friday: collaborate, create, present short 1 minute Tutorials

We’ve enjoyed meeting and introducing you to our Course Syllabus and the Habits of Mind.  The Habits of Mind act as an “Internal Compass” for effective problem-solving, communication, collaboration, and questioning (Costa).

Examples of people/groups/characters that model specific HOM include:

Persistence – Percy Jackson, Rosa Parks

Questioning – Isaac Newton, Journalists, Amelia Earhart

Thinking Interdependently – US Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force

Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations – President Barack Obama, The Giver from the novel of the same name

Striving for Accuracy – Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena, Greek goddess of wisdom

Managing Impulsivity – firefighters, police officers, Martin Luther King Jr.

Do you want to add to the list?  Post a comment.

Art Costa and Bena Kallick identified 16 Habits of Mind and we have adopted 6.  

EXTRA CREDIT: Watch this student created Charlie Angel’s Spoof on the HOM. Respond to ONE of the following questions/prompts.  Record your answers by POSTING A COMMENT at the end of this POST.   Follow the Quality Commenting Guidelines, digital etiquette and cyber safety.

• What HOM of stood out? Explain.
  • How did you recognize the HOM in the spoof?  Be specific.
  • Did the students portray the HOM accurately? Explain.
  • Provide another HOM scenario the students could add to their spoof.

Want to learn more? Read connections from previous students BELOW on the Post-It Parking Lot.

WANT TO LEARN MORE?

Meet Art Costa, the man behind the HOM!   He’s done the research.  Now, it’s up to you…are you ready to challenge your thinking?  Watch this brief interview.

4 thoughts on “Welcome Class of 2014!

1. The Conch is a useful website because we can look at information for homework and it gives us reminder. I will use this throughout the year if I forget my folder at school or need to study.

2. This year i will defiantly utilize the class website to my advantage. I will use it daily to make sure I complete assignments on time. Also use it as a reminder for when I have test or quiz so i make sure i study so i will set myself up for sucess! All in all i believe the website will be a huge advantage this year. (Teacher note: Use the Quality Comments Guidelines. Check spelling and capitalization before you post. Don’t forget your class period.)

3. the habit of mind that stood out to me was that without HOB, you would not be able to draw. You would think people have the common seance to know how to do something as simply as draw, so it was interesting to me to learn about that (Teacher note: Read posts and directions carefully. This wasn’t the homework.)

4. I think that the blog is very cool. I think it is extremely neat that for our homework tonight we had to go home and post a comment on the blog. I personally think that the blog is a very good way to get us all going back over the things we learn in class as a studying way. I like all the brain pop on the blog as well. I re-watched the cyber bullying video and I picked up somethings I didn’t in class which is a plus of having the blog. Also the blog is where the live binder is located at. The live binder is such a great tool to have so that if you forget your homework or anything in class you can still do it.That’s why personally I think the blog is very cool and is a useful tool that I will be utilizing throughout the year.