LeaD, FoLLOW, oR…GeT ouT oF THe WaY!

Are leaders born or created?

Which Habits of Mind are NECESSARY for LEADERSHIP?

Watch the following video clip, ESCALATOR and respond to the following:

Provide advice for the people on the escalator from the POV of 1 Habit of Mind.

What would a LEADER do in this situation?

Which Habits of Mind does Jaime need to practice?
This is a comedy sketch, but have you met “leaders” like Jaime? Are they effective? Why or why not?
What would your 8th grade year look like if someone like Jaime won the election for House President?

85 thoughts on “LeaD, FoLLOW, oR…GeT ouT oF THe WaY!

1. Hi Haley, What do you mean by “she thought she was everything?” It is always great to make pop culture connections!

2. The people on the escalator should’ve used the HOM think interdependently or apply past knowledge to new situations. A leader would’ve thought of the escalator as stairs, and used them to walk up. Also if one of them thought interdependently they could’ve figured it out together

3. I am thinking that the habit of mind that should have been used in the video is to think interdependently. I think that because if the two people would have thought to walk upstairs, they would have already been where they wanted. That is why I think the habit of mind that should have been used was to think interdependently.

4. It’s not about getting stuck on the stairs, it’s a Medefor of life, and it is telling you to have a leader and what to do incase a interagency like that. (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette, check your spelling and grammar. Each comment must be at least 3 sentences.)

5. I am Apply Past Knowledge To New Situations. I would tell them to think about another similar situation and think what they did in the past and do it again. But they would have to change to it make it fit this situation.

6. I think these guys need to persist in habits of mind.I think so because they give up as soon as they get stuck (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines, check your punctuation and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

7. I think that leaders are born because not everyone can lead 8 yellow. A leader would think about what to do and try to calm everyone down. He would think interdependantly. A leader is a BO$$ ( (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette, use punctuation and don’t use text language.)

8. I believe that the group of people on the escalator should of used the habit of mind to apply past knowledge to new situations. I think this because they should take there knowledge about life and escalators and apply it to that situation.They could of walked up the escalator.

9. I would tell them they are like stairs and you could just walk up, also that they could persisting because you could stay focus and come and over come ur obstacles. (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette, don’t use texting language and check your spelling!)

10. A leader would realize he can walk up the escalator. And he would not wait for people to come help Him. He would also help the others realize you can still wall up the escalator (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette, use punctuation, and check your grammar.)

11. I think they should have tried to get off instead of calling someone else.a leader would trie and find a solution (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette and check your spelling, capitalization, and grammar.)

12. In a situation like this a leader would know to walk up the esculader not just stand there and wait for help if that happened to me I would just walk up the esulader. The esculader just symbolizes a problem or and obstacle in life that is easy enough to get by (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette and check your spelling and punctuation.)

13. In this situation, a leader would realize that escalators become stairs. They would tell others to be calm and that there is no worry, because you can just walk, you are not stuck.

14. I think the habit of mind is manage impulsivity because the people that were stuck kept screaming for help. I also think that they should question themselves because if they asked themselves how to get down or how to get themselves help they might have figured it out. But instead they just stood there.

15. I think the habit of mind that the people on the escalator could have used is to think interdependently and strive for accuracy. I think that because if you have a problem you should always try to solve it yourself by striving for accuracy. You also have to think for your self and find a way to get out of a situation.

16. They showed persistence on the escalator by just standing there waiting for them to get it fixed. They questioned the situation. A leader would try to find a new way or try to solve the problem on their own.
    Liv and Luke

17. I think they should show the habit of mind “Think interdependently.” The two people could have collaborated to get off the escalator. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

18. We think persistence because the people who got(stuck) on the escalator did not remain focused and didn’t act necessary. They should have overcomes the obstacle and climb up the stairs. (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette and check your spelling and word choice.)

19. The man and the lady stuck on the escalators Should strive for accuracy and persisting because they need to overcome being lazy and walk the way up. (Ms. D Note: Please follow blogging etiquette and check your grammar and capitalization.)

20. The habit of mind I saw the people on the escalator is persisting. They didn’t over come opsticals that is who . :)$ (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

21. I think the habit of mind they should be using is persisting. Because they don’t even try to over come the obstacle, in this case, the escalator. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

22. The people in the video should have questioned themselves. They should have gone up instead of waiting. A leader would have gone forward and just go up the escalator.

23. I think that thinking interdependently would help, as they could either walk up the escalator, or get another person to help. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

24. We think the habit of mind the people on the escalator should have used is persistence because the broken escalator was an obstacle and if they remained calm and focused they could have overcame the broken escalator. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

25. I think it is persistence because they need to avoid any obstacles or bad things and remain focused. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and elaborate. Each comment should have at least 3 sentences.)

26. I think they should have have used the habits of mind persisting. I think they should have just walked up the escalator. I also think manage impulsivity because they were screaming very loudly.

27. I think the people on the escalator should have used persistence. I think this because they could have easily gotten out of the situation by walking up the stairs. Overcoming that opsticle should have been common sense.

28. I am habit of mind questioning. They should have applied past knowledge to a new situation. Why didn’t they just walk up the elevator. They could have been were they needed to be.

29. I am the habit of mind: apply past knowledge to new situations. I would think, if you saw stairs, and you needed to get to the top of them, you walk up them. You should realize that an escalator stops, you should use past knowledge to learn that you need to walk up them… Pretty obvious…

30. A leader would help the people walk up the stairs. They would also try to get help from a person who could possibly fix it. If they can’t fix it he would help try to fix it and tell the manager of the store or wherever they are that it is broken.

31. I am the habit of mind “apply past knowledge to new situations”. Think back to a time when you were climbing up stairs. now that that escalator is not moving you can use it as stairs and climb up. (Ms. D note: Please follow blogging guidelines and check your capitalization.)

32. I am the habit of mind apply past knowledge to new situations. If I were one of the people from the video I would go up the stairs. Also questioning would apply because you wonder why the don’t just walk up.